Dr. Alphonse W. Wafula
Department of Chemistry
Alphonse pursued B.Ed (Sc) with major in Chemistry at Kenyatta University followed an MSc in natural products at Kenyatta University He under too his PhD studies in natural products on Molluscicidal activities and phytochemical studies of solanum spp in split programme sponsored by DAAD at Braunshweig University in Germany and Kenyatta University. Alphonse is a senior lecturer/reseacher at Kenyatta University. He is currently a reviewer with National Commission for science, Technology and Innovation (NACOSTI)-Kenya and member of board of management of various secondary schools in Bungoma county-Kenya
Research Interests/current research
1. Applied Analytical chemistry: Analysis and remediation of environmental pollutants
2. Natural product chemistry and organic chemistry with particular reference to Isolation and structure elucidation of secondary metabolites from medicinal plants used by indigenous people of Kenya of antimicrobials from natural sources-plants of molluscicidal from plants in the endemic areas of biopesticides for control of crop pests as a strategy of improving food security
Publications/Journal Articles(to update)
1. N. M. Ombuna, A.K Machocho,M. M.nganaga, G.K Keru, A. W Wanyonyi and O. Amuka. Stem bark extracts of erythrina excels(Baker) and their Activities. Journal of Medicinal Plants Research- in press
2. Mwonjoria K, John, Umar Aliyu, Juma K. Kevin, Kahiga M. Titus, Ngugi M. Puero, Mburu David, Wanyonyi Alphonse, Githinji G. Charles, Ngeranwa N. Joseph (2016). Anti-inflammatory Acitity of Crateerostigma pumulium (hochst) is associated with hyperalgesia. Internal Journal of pharmacology and Toxicology, 4(2), 169-173
3. Stanslaus M. Lusambili. Alphonse W. Wafula and Evans C. Ogwagwa (2016). Spectroscopic and Physical characterization of clays from Ilesi area in Kakamega county and their suitability for Pottery. Journal of Kenya Chemical Society, 9(1) 1-13
4. O.O. Nandwa, R. manohar and A.W. Wanyonyi (2013). Malted sorghum as a possible alternative to barley in beer industry. Journal of Kenya Chemical Society 7 (1) 1-6
5. Mwangi s. K. E, Keriko M. J, Yarus K. P, Machoco K. A, Chhabra C. S, Wanyonyi A (2012). Activity of Extractives from albizia anthelmintica BRONGU and Teclea tricharpa ENGL. as biorational alternatives to control of the maize weevil. (Stiphilus zeamais). East African Journal of Pure and Applied Sciences 2 Pp113-130
6. Mwangi, E.S.K., Keriko, J.M., Machocho, A.K., Wanyonyi, A.W., Malebo, H.M., Chhabra, S.C. and Tarus, P.K. (2010). Antiprotozoal Activity and Cytotoxicity of metabolites from keaves of Tecleatrichocarpa. Journal of Mecinal Plants Research 4 (9): 726-731
7. Peter G. Kirira, Geoffrey M. Rukunga, Alphonse W. Wanyonyi, Charles N. Muthaura, Geoffrey M. Mungai, Alex K. Machocho and Isaiah O.Ndiege (2007). Tigalediterpenoids from the stem bark of Neoboutoniamacrocalyx . Journal of natural Products 70 (5)
8. P. G. Kirira, G.M. Rukunga, A.W. Wanyonyi, S.A. Omar, F. Otolo, G.M. Mungai, I. O.Ndiege (2006). Anti-plasmodial activity and toxicity of extracts of plants used in traditional malaria therapy in Meru and Kilifi Districts of Kenya. Journal of Ethnopharmacology, 403- 407
9. Wanyonyi A. W., Chhabra S. C., Mkoji G., Udo E. Njue W. Be. Mungai (2005). Molluscidal Steroidal Alkaloids from Solanum Species. In the Proceedings of 5th International Conference of Kenya Chemical Society, Kenyatta Universty, Nairobi. Kenya, Pp 239-246
10. Eratus K. Mwangi, Alex Machocho, Paul K. Tarus, Joseph M. Keriko,Sumesh C. Chhabra. Alphonse W. Wanyonyi. And HamisMalebo (2005). Pytochemical Studies of Tecleatrichocarpa and Albiziaanthemintica. In the Proceedings of 5th International Conference of Kenya Chemical Society, Kenyatta Universty, Nairobi. Kenya, Pp 261-267
11. Paul Tarus, MSc; Sumesh Chander Chhabra, MSc, PhD; Wanyonyi Alphonse Wafula, MSc, PhD and Caroline Lang'at1, MSc, PhD (2004). Fermentation and Antimicrobial Activities of Extracts from different species of Fungus belonging to genus, Trichoderma., African Journal of Health Science 11, (23),33-34.
12. P.K. Tarus, S.C. Chhabra, C.C. Lang’at-Thoruwa, A.W. Wanyonyi (2003). Bioactive Metabolites From Trichoderma Harzianum And Trichoderma Longibrachiatum. Bulletin of the Chemical Society of Ethiopia 17 (2) 185-190
13. Wanyonyi A.W, Chhabra S.C., Mkoji G., Njue W. Tarus P. K. (2003). Molluscidal and Antimicrobial Bioassays of aqueous and methanolic extracts of Solanum aculeastrum Fittoterapia, 298-301
14. Wanyonyi A.W, Chhabra S. C., E. Njue W. Tarus P. K (2003). A novel glycosidic steroidal alkaloid from Solanum aculeastrum., Bulletin of the Chemical Society of Ethiopia 17 (1) 61-66
15. Wanyonyi A. W., Chhabra S. C., Mkoji G., Udo E. Njue W.(2002). Bioactive Steroidal Glycosides from Solanumaculeastrum, Phytochemistry 59, 79.
16. Wanyonyi A. W., Chhabra S. C., Mkoji G., Udo E. Njue W (1999). Molluscicidal properties of aqueous extracts of Solanumaculeastrum and S. arundo. In the Proceedings of the workshop on Medical and Veterinary Malacology in Africa; Harare, Zimbabwe, Pp 365-368
2016: Kenya Chemical Society, Nairobi Chapter symposium 23rd April at USIU-A on Chemistry for sustainable Development
2015: The 8th International Conference of the Kenya Chemical Society, 5th -8th May, Nairobi University- Presented/poster: Theme: Applied Chemistry and Technology in Industry
2014: Kenya Chemical Society Workshop held at Jomo Kenyatta University on 30th August, 2014.
2014: Royal Society Workshop held at the University of Nairobi, Chiromo Campus from 8th – 9th July,
2014: Kenya Chemical Society Workshop held at the KCS Nairobi Chapter Annual General Meeting held at Kenyatta University
2012: The 7th International Conference of the Kenya Chemical Society, 15th -18th October, Maseno University- Presented Theme: Chemical Sciences as a vehicle for achieving Kenyas Vision 2030.
2010: PHEA Project 4 Workshop, Open Distance & e-Learning (ODeL), Kenyatta University, 13th - 14th September 2010; co-organized with Dean SPAS, Kenyatta University, Kenya.
2010: Kenya Chemical Society Nairobi Chapter Workshop, Chiromo Campus, University of Nairobi,
2007: Role of chemistry in sustainable Agriculture and human wellbeing in Africa: CHEMRAWN XII Conference, Stellenbosch, South Africa ( Attended)
2005: MolluscicidalStereoidal glycosides fronSolanumaculeastrum and arundo. Kenya Chemical Society. 5th International Conference, Kenyatta University, Nairobi, Kenya. .(Attended and presented).
2004: Lake Victoria Research Initiative (VICRES) - SIDA/SAREC/IUCEA. Various workshops and seminars within the regions since 2004 to present and on going.
2004: Lake Victoria Research Initiative (VICRES) - SIDA/SAREC/IUCEA. Various workshops and seminars within the regions
2001: Natural Products Research of Eastern and Southern Africa (NAPRECA) Kenya Chapter symposium on 26th January, 2001 at Kenyatta University.
2001: Phytochemical and Molluscicidal Studies on some of the Kenyan species of the Genus SolanumGraduands’ seminar, Kenyatta University, Nairobi, Kenya.(Attended and presented).
2001: Isolation, characterization and Molluscicidal Activity Evaluation of Compounds From Solanumaculeastrum): The 9th Symposium of The Natural Products Research Network For Eastern and Central Africa [NAPRECA], Nairobi, Kenya.(Attended and presented).
2001: Molluscicidal activity of the aqueous extracts of S. aculeastrum and arundo Natural Products Research Network For Eastern and Central Africa [NAPRECA] Kenya Branch Symposium, Kenyatta University, Nairobi, Kenya.(Attended, presented).
1999: Molluscicidal Steroidal Alkaloid from Solanumaculeastrum The 3rd Kenya Chemical Society International Conference, Jomo Kenyatta University of Agriculture and Technology, Nairobi, Kenya. (Attended and presented).
1999: Phytochemical and Molluscicidal Studies on some of the Kenyan species of the Genus Solanum, aculeastrum and arundo of the workshop on Medical and Veterinary Malacology in Africa; Harare, Zimbabwe.(Attended and presented).
1993: Larvicidal and molluscicidal activity of flower head extracts of Kenyan Spilanthes: Inaugural Conference of the Kenya Chemical Society, Nairobi, June,.(Attended and presented).