Dr. Nadir Hashim is a senior lecturer and chairman in the Department of Physics at Kenyatta University. He obtained his Ph.D. in June 2007 at Siegen University, Germany. The Ph.D. work involved measurement and Monte Carlo simulation cosmic ray muons using the ALEPH at CERN - European Laboratory for Particle Physics. The analysis was done at Siegen University and the Max Planck Institute for Nuclear Physics in Heidelberg, Germany. The Ph.D. work was funded by the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) and the Max Planck Society. The findings were presented during the annual meeting of the German Physical Society (DPG) meetings in Germany and also in internal conferences, for example the International Cosmic Ray Conference (ICRC) in 2005. During his Ph.D. work, Dr. Hashim had the opportunity to attend a meeting with Physics Nobel Laureates in June/July 2004, Lindau, Germany.
Currently, his main areas of research are on the application of nuclear techniques to environmental radiation monitoring; Monte Carlo simulation of extensive air showers; study of galaxy interactions and structures, radio astronomy. Dr. Hashim has supervised postgraduate students and collaborates with international scientists in radiation physics, astronomy and astrophysics. He is a member of the following societies: Kenya Physical Society, East African Association of Radiation Protection, East African Astronomical Society. He is the national coordinator AFRA-NEST (African Network for Nuclear Education Science and Technology) of the IAEA (International Atomic Energy Agency). Dr. Hashim has also served as a reviewer of proposals for funding at the National Commission for Science, Technology and Innovation (NACOSTI).
Some useful links
Former research group at Siegen University, Germany
Former research group at the Max Planck Institute of Nuclear Physics, Heidelberg, Germany
- B.Sc.(Physics) 1997, Jomo Kenyatta University, Kenya
- M.Sc.(Physics) 2001, Kenyatta University, Kenya
- Ph.D. (Physics) 2007, Siegen University, Germany
- Measurement and simulation of cosmic radiation
- Application of nuclear techniques to environmental radiation monitoring
- Study of galaxies – interaction, star-formation, morphology
- The Momentum Spectrum and Charge Ratio of Cosmic Ray Muons Measured at a Depth of 320 mwe . Paper presented at the second Middle East and Africa Regional IAU Meeting, MEARIM II, 10 - 15 April 2011, Cape Town, South Africa.
- Research status reports on the measurement of the momentum spectrum and charge ratio of cosmic ray muons using ALEPH detector. Spring Meetings of the German Physical Society (DPG), Mainz-2004, Berlin-2005, Dortmund-2006, Heidelberg-2007.
- Momentum spectrum of cosmic muons at a depth of 320 mwe. 29th. Paper presented at the International Cosmic Ray Conference, 03. - 10. August 2005, Pune-India.
- Assessment of quality of trace element measurements by EDXRF technique: a statistical approach. Paper presented at the 9th International Symposium on Radiation Physics and Workshop on Radiation Based Analytical Techniques, 17-22 August 2003, iThemba LABS (formerly National Accelerator Centre), Faure, Cape Town, South Africa.
- Application of nuclear techniques to environmental physics. Poster presented at National Nuclear Technology Conference. 12Th to 15th May 2001, iThemba LABS (formerly National Accelerator Centre), Faure, Cape Town, South Africa.
- Chemometric approaches to assessing the quality of measurements in EDXRF spectrometry. Paper presented at The Millennium School on Nuclear and Particle Physics, 31st January to 03rd February 2000, iThemba LABS (formerly National Accelerator Centre), Faure, Cape Town, South Africa.
- IAEA - EURACHEM Workshop on “Efficient Methodology for the Evaluation of Uncertainty in Analytical Chemistry - Implementing the ISO Guide” 14 - 15 June 1999, Helsinki, Finland.
- Angeyo H.K., Patel J.P., Mustapha A.O., Achola S.O., Ogwari P., Ntihabose L., Mangala M.J., Makokha J.W., Odumo B.O., Wepukhulu G.W., Maina D.M., Kaniu I.M., Hashim N.O., Kebwaro J.M., Masinde T.S., Otwoma D., Mayaka G.N., Agora J.O., Kinyua R. and Atando V. Status and Prospects in Research Infrastructure Development in Nuclear Analytical Spectrometry and Radiometric Instrumentation Methodologies for Environmental Radiation And Associated Radioactivity Measurements and Modelling Studies in Kenya. Paper presented by H.K. Angeyo at the IAEA Technical Meeting on Establishing a Network of Laboratories in the Field of Nuclear Instrumentation for Environmental Monitoring and Related Applications, 27-30 Sept. 2010, Krakow, Poland.
M. Schmelling, N.O. Hashim, C. Grupen, S. Luitz, F. Maciuc, A. Mailov, A.-S. Müller, H.-G. Sander, S. Schmeling, R. Tcaciuc, H. Wachsmuth, T. Ziegler, K. Zuber, The CosmoALEPH Collaboration. Spectrum and charge ratio of vertical cosmic ray muons up to momenta of 2.5 TeV/c. Astroparticle Physics 49 (2013) 1–5
- Chege, M. W., Hashim, N. O., Merenga, A. S. and Tschiersch, J. Lead contamination of traditional hand-dug wells in parts of Kwale County, Kenya. International Journal of Physical Sciences, 8(17), 835-839 (2013)
- Chege, M. W., Hashim, N. O. and Merenga, A. S. Physico-chemical analysis of groundwater in the Gazi-Mrima Hill region of Kwale County, Kenya. Asian Journal of Science and Technology, 4(5), 055-058 (2013)
- M. Schmelling, N.O. Hashim, C. Grupen, S. Luitz, F. Maciuc, A. Mailov, A.-S. Mueller, H.-G. Sander, S. Schmeling, R. Tcaciuc, H. Wachsmuth, and K. Zuber (The CosmoALEPH Collaboration). Spectrum and Charge Ratio of Vertical Cosmic Ray Muons up to Momenta of 2.5 TeV/c. arXiV:1110.4325v1 [hep-ex] 19 Oct 2011.
- J.M. Kebwaro, I.V.S. Rathore, N.O. Hashim and A.O. Mustapha. Radiometric assessment of natural radioactivity levels around Mrima hill, Kenya. International Journal of the Physical Sciences, 6(13), 3105-3110. (2011)
- J.M. Kebwaro, N.O. Hashim and A.O. Mustapha. Construction of a generic reference material for gamma ray spectrometric analysis. Indonesian Journal of Physics. 22(4), 105-106. (2011)
- N.O. Hashim for the CosmoALEPH collaboration. The Momentum Spectrum and Charge Ratio of Cosmic Ray Muons Measured at a Depth of 320 mwe. AFRICAN SKIES / CIEUX AFRICAINS, No. 16, July 2011
- C. Grupen, N.O. Hashim, B. Jost, F. Maciuc, S. Luitz, A. Mailov, A.-S. Mueller, A.Putzer, H.-G. Sander, S. Schmeling, M. Schmelling, R. Tcaciuc, H. Wachsmuth, Th. Ziegler, K. Zuber. Cosmic ray results from the CosmoALEPH experiment. Nuclear Physics B 175 - 176 (2008) 286 – 293.
- S. Plewnia, Th. Berghoefer, J. Bluemer, P. Buchholz, J. Engler, N.O. Hashim, J.R. Hoerandel, R. Lixandru, J. Milke, W. Walkowiak, J. Wochele. A sampling calorimeter with warm-liquid ionization chambers. Nuclear Instruments and Methods. A556 (2006) 422 – 432
- F. Maciuc, C. Grupen, A. Mailov, S. Luitz, A.-S. Mueller, N. O. Hashim, A. Putzer, B. Rensch, H. G. Sander, S. Schmeling, M. Schmelling, R. Tcaciuc, H. Wachsmuth, Th. Ziegler, K. Zuber. Muon-Pair Production by Atmospheric Muons in CosmoALEPH. Physical Review Letters, 96 021801 (2006)
- N.O. Hashim, C. Grupen, S. Luitz, A. Mailov, F. Maciuc, A.-S. Mueller, A.Putzer, H.-G. Sander, S. Schmeling, M. Schmelling, R. Tcaciuc, H. Wachsmuth, Th. Ziegler, K. Zuber. Momentum spectrum of cosmic muons at a depth of 320 mwe. Proc. 29th International Cosmic Ray Conference, Pune-India, 6, 13 - 16. (2005)
- N.O. Hashim, I.V.S. Rathore, A.M. Kinyua, R.L. Stangl, A.O. Mustapha. Assessment of quality of trace element measurements by EDXRF technique: a statistical approach. Radiation Physics and Chemistry, Vol. 71 (2004), Nr. 3-4, p 791-792
- N.O. Hashim, I.V.S. Rathore, A.M. Kinyua, A.O. Mustapha. Natural and artificial radioactivity levels in sediments along the Kenyan coast. Radiation Physics and Chemistry, Vol. 71 (2004), Nr. 3-4, p 805-806
- A.O. Mustapha, J.P. Patel, I.V. S. Rathore, N.O. Hashim, D. Otwoma. An investigation of the repeatability of calibration factors in gamma-ray spectrometry of geological materials. Applied Radiation and Isotopes, Vol. 60 (2004), Nr. 1, p 79-82
- N. O. Hashim, A.M. Kinyua, M.J. Mangala, I.V.S. Rathore. EDXRF analysis of lead and other toxic trace elements in soil samples along two major highways of Kenya. Radiation Physics Chemistry Vol. 51 (1998), Nr. 4-6, p 629-630
- N. O. Hashim, A.M. Kinyua, M.J. Mangala, I.V.S. Rathore. Analysis of soil for trace elements along two major highways of Kenya. East African Journal of Science, 1(1), 2-10 (1998).