Dr. Najma Dharani
:M.Sc in Botany (Plant Morphogenesis) from the University of Karachi
Department/Unit/Section: Plant Sciences, Kenyatta University, Kenya
PF No: 7100
ORCID ID: https://orcid.org/0000-0002-0315-131X
Area of Specialization
- Plant/Environmental Ecology(Both aquatic & Terrestrial Ecology)
- Ethno-botany (Indigenous Useful Plants of East Africa)
- Conservation Biology (Biodiversity Conservation and Management)
- Plant/Environmental Ecology: Impact of Urbanization and Industrialization(Toxic metal pollution) on Biodiversity of different ecosystems (Aquatic & Terrestrial) and their Conservation and Management
- Ethno Botanical Research
- Research on Medicinal Plants to prevent, treat and cure Human, Livestock and Poultry diseases. In addition, Ecology, Domestication, Utilization & Conservation of East African Indigenous Medicinal
- Assessment of Ecological Distribution, Diversity, Abundance and Ethno-botanical Surveys of Indigenous Food Plants including their Utilization and Importance in food security, health, nutrition and
livelihoods of the various communities in East Africa.
- Biodiversity Conservation and Management: Distribution, ecology, morphology, economic and socio-economic and ecological significance and conservation status of East African Flora and Fauna
- Land-use Dynamics: Natural Resource Management & Conservation through Reforestation by growing Indigenous Multipurpose Plant species (for timber, medicinal, vegetables, fodder and fruit/nuts), their cultivation and harvest techniques.
- Principles of Evergreen and Conservation Agriculture for sustainable farming Practices used in the East African Region for better land use dynamics, enhancing soil fertility, food security (increase in food production), livelihood and environmental resilience
- J. Rodrigues, P.W.Wagacha, N. Dharani. Mensurational Data Diagnostic System Design. Relative growth and Quasi-Allometric Patterns of Acacia xanthophloea Benth in Lake Nakuru National Park, Kenya. Research paper being prepared for submission to Journal of Ecological Modelling.
- David Amakanga, Benards Okeyo and Najma Dharani (2021). The Assessment of Structure and Natural Regeneration Capacity of Avicennia marina and Bruguiera gymnorrhiza Species of Mangroves in Mida Creek Kilifi County, Kenya. J. Plant Anim. Environ. Sci. 11(2): 262-294. (DOI: 10.26502/ijpaes.202106).
- Ogola Kevin Omollo, Najma Dharani and Benard Okeyo (2021). Assesment of Sequestration Potential and Biomass Accumulation of Managed Mangrove Plantations of Mida Creek, Kilifi County Kenya. Int J Plant Anim Environ Sci. 11(2): 233-250. (DOI: 10.26502/ijpaes.202104)
- Godfrey Wafula, Mwakio Tole, Najma Dharani and Stanley Nadir (2020). Effectiveness of EPZ Wastewater Treatment Plant in reducing Pollutants discharged into River Athi, Kenya. J. Envir Sci & Engineer. B9: 261-276. Print: A (ISSN 2162- 5298); Online: A (ISSN 2162-5301). Doi: 10.17265/2162-5263/2020.06.004.
- Najma Dharani (2020): A review of Phytochemical Constituents and Pharmacological Activities of Ethnomedicinal Warburgia ugandensis Sprague ssp. ugandensis in East Africa. Pharma. J. Kenya.Vol. 24, No.03; Pp 67-71. ISSN: 2411-6386.
- Hussein A. Aden and Najma Dharani (2019). Investigation of the Distribution and Abundance of Butterfly in the Nature Reserve of Arabuko Sokoke Forest Reserve, Kilifi County, Kenya. Int J Plant Anim Environ Sci 2019; 9 (4): 222-236. (DOI: 10.26502/ijpaes.008)
- Wanyera Francis, Kinyamario J., Najma Dharani and Robert M. 2018 Ecotourism and local community activities on ecosystem changes in and around Volcanoes National Park, Rwanda International journal of Plant, Animal and Environmental Sciences (IJPAJX) IJPAJX Vol. 8, No. 3 ISSN-2231-4490 (DOI: 10.21276/Ijpaes
- Wanyera Francis, Kinyamario J., Najma Dharani and Robert M. 2018 Population dynamics and land-use changes around protected areas. A case of Bwindi Impenetrable National Park, Uganda. International journal of Plant, Animal and Environmental Sciences (IJPAJX) IJPAJX Vol. 8, No. 3 ISSN-2231-4490(DOI: 10.21276/Ijpaes
- Carol J Rotich and Najma Dharani 2018 Species Distribution, Diversity and Conservation of Indigenous Medicinal Plants in Selected Areas of Baringo County, Kenya Journal of Chemical, Biological and Physical Sciences J. Chem. Bio. Phy. Sci. Vol. 8, No. 3; 000-000. [DOI:10.24214/jcbps.B.8.3.00000.]
- Najma Dharani 2016 Traditional Ethnomedicinal uses and phytochemical compounds of Carissa spinarum L. in East Africa: a review. Pharm Journal - Published by Kenyatta University Pharmacy Students Association (KUPHSA). Kenyatta University Press (KUP)PHARM J. July –Dec 2016, Vol. 02
- Najma Dharani 2016 Traditional Ethnomedicinal uses, phytochemistry and pharmacological properties of Balanites aegyptiaca (L.) Del. in East Africa: a review. Pharm Journal - Published by Kenyatta University Pharmacy Students Association (KUPHSA). Kenyatta University Press (KUP) PHARM J. July –Dec 2016, Vol. 02
- Najma Dharani 2016 A Review of Traditional Uses and Phytochemical Constituents of Indigenous Syzygium Species in East Africa Pharmaceutical Journal of Kenya Pharma. J. Kenya. Vol. 22, No 4. ISSN 2411-6386
- Najma Dharani 2016 A Review of Traditional Medicinal Uses and Phytochemical Constituents of Exotic Syzygium Species in East Africa Pharmaceutical Journal of Kenya Pharma. J. Kenya. Vol. 22, No 4. ISSN 2411-6386
- Demissew Tsigemelak, Najma Dharani 2016 Assessment of the Ecological Distribution, Species Diversity and abundance of Medicinal Plants in Central Kajiado, Kajiado County, Kenya International Journal of Plant, Animal and Environ Sciences IJPAES Volume-6, Issue-3 ISSN-2231-4490
- Christopher M.Ndolo, Najma Dharani, Katja K. 2016 Socioeconomic and Biophysical factors affecting tree richness and diversity in Machakos County, Eastern Kenya International Journal of Plant, Animal and Environ Sciences IJPAES Volume-6, Issue-3 ISSN-2231-4490
- Demissew Tsigemelak, Najma Dharani, Jenesio I Kinyamario, Samuel Kiboi 2016 The Utilization of Medicinal Plants by the Masaai community in arid lands of Kajiado County, Kenya International Journal of Plant, Animal and Environ Sciences IJPAES Volume-6, Issue-3 ISSN-2231-4490
- Ermais, Dharani, Mathews 2012 The indigenous knowledge of the Maasai Ethnoveterinary diagnostic skills Journal of Human Ecology J. Hum. Ecol., 16(1): 43-48 (2012)
- Najma Dharani et al., 2010 Distribution of Zn and Cd levels in Soils and Acacia xanthophloea Benth, from Lake Nakuru National Park, Kenya. Bulletin of Environmental Contamination Toxicology Springer New York, USA. Vol, 3: 318 – 323
- Najma Dharani et al., 2008 Browsing impact of large herbivores on Acacia xanthophloea Benth in Lake Nakuru National Park, Kenya. African Journal of Ecology-Blackwell Publishing Ltd-UK. Vol, 47: 184 – 191.
- Najma Dharani et al., 2007 The Distribution of Cu and Pb levels in Soils and Acacia xanthophloea Benth, from Lake Nakuru National Park, Kenya. Bulletin Environmental Contamination Toxicology Springer New York, USA. Vol, 79: 172 – 177
- Najma Dharani et al., 2006 Structure and Composition of Acacia xanthophloea woodland in Lake Nakuru National Park, Kenya. African Journal of Ecology-Blackwell Publishing Ltd-UK. Vol, 44: 523 – 530
- Najma Dharani, 2006 The Debarking in Lake Nakuru National Park, Kenya. CONSERVATION(Article was published from my PHD WORK) SWARA - East African Wildlife Society-Kenya Vol, 29: 42 - 45
University & Tertiary Levels Scholarly Books
- Najma Dharani and Abiy Yenesew (2021). Medicinal Plants of East Africa-An Illustrated Guide. Draft Second Edition. Submitted to Struik Random House Publishers, Cape Town, South Africa for publishing and printing. Printed version will be available by the end of 2021
- Najma Dharani (2019). Field Guide to common Trees and Shrubs of East Africa (Revised- 3rd Edition). Struik Random House Publishers, Cape Town, South Africa. ISBN: 978 1 77007 888 8.
- Dharani N, Yenesew A, Aynekulu E, Tuei B, Jamnadass R (2015). Ethno veterinary Medicine in East Africa. World Agro forestry Centre, (ICRAF), Nairobi-Kenya. ISBN: 978-92-9059-335-5.
- Najma Dharani (2011). Field Guide to common Trees and Shrubs of East Africa (Revised-2nd Edition). Struik Random House Publishers, Cape Town, South Africa. ISBN: 978 1 77007 888 8.
- Dharani N, Rukunga G, Yenesew A, Mbora A, Mwaura L, Dawson I, Jamnadass R (2010). Common Antimalarial Trees and Shrubs of East Africa –A description of species and a guide to cultivation and conservation through use. World Agro forestry Centre, (ICRAF), Nairobi-Kenya. ISBN: 978 92 9059 238 9.
- Najma Dharani and Abiy Yenesew (2010). Medicinal Plants of East Africa-An Illustrated Guide. Published by Najma Dharani in association with Drongo publishing, Nairobi-Kenya. ISBN: 978-9966-05-167-8.
- Najma Dharani (2006). Field Guide to Acacias of East Africa. Struik Random House Publishers, Cape Town, South Africa. ISBN: 9781770071742.
- Najma Dharani (2002). Field Guide to common Trees and Shrubs of East Africa (1st Edition). Struik Random House Publishers, Cape Town, South Africa. ISBN: 978 1 77007 888 8.
Other Publications (Book chapters, Motivational book)
- 2012: (1st Edition): Guide book to Nairobi City Park. Contributed plant photographs and a chapter and proof reading of the book
- 2012 (2nd Edition): Guide book to Nairobi Arboretum. Contributed plant photographs and a chapter and proof reading of the book
- Najma Dharani (2002). Life’s Little Secrets. A Guide to a Successful Living. Focus Books Publishers, Kenya. ISBN: 9966-882-66-9. (Motivational book)
- 2001 (1st Edition): Guide book to Nairobi Arboretum. Contributed plant photographs and a chapter and proof reading of the book
Conferences, Workshops and Seminars Attended
- 9th to 16th July 2021. Kenya National Landscape Restoration Scaling Virtual Conference. Catalyzing action for landscape restoration. Organized by Regreening Africa (ICRAF).
- 2nd to 3rd June 2021. Restoring Africa’s Drylands. Accelerating action on the ground. Virtual Conference organized by Global Landscapes Forum (GLF) Africa.
- 27th May 2021. Private sector engagement in Kenya’s landscape restoration efforts. Webinar seminar. Organized by Regreening Africa (ICRAF-Nairobi).
- 25th March 2021. The Roots of the FMNR Movement in Kenya webinar seminar. Organized by Regreening Africa (ICRAF-Nairobi).
11th to 12th Feb. 2021. Conservation & Tourism for Improved Livelihoods. Virtual conference organised by Wildlife Clubs of Kenya in collaboration with IUCN Commission on Education and Communication.
- 28th Jan 2021 (2.00 -5.00pm). Face to face-Training on Turn-it-in, Creating Orchid and Google Scholar accounts. Organized by School of pure and Applied Sciences (SPAS) in collaboration with the Chief University Librarian. Kenyatta University.
- 27th Jan 2021. Virtual Learning Experience: Youth Power in Restoration. Youth empowerment for engagement in restoration. Conference organized by Regreening Africa, CIFOR, World Agroforestry Centre.
- 17th Sept. 2020. The Article Publishing Process: An Elsevier Workshop on Zoom. ELSEVIER.
8th Sept. 2020. Training on Blended Learning Online Facilitation. Organized zoom work shop by Digital School of Kenyatta University. https://zoom.us/j/96850258914?pwd=LzdOYWNqZWJZT1Jnb29PZ1NGalhaQT09
- 3rd to 17th July 2020 (on zoom): Training of Trainers: How to use Moodle/Camtasia for creating and animating an online training course for Kenyatta University –Plant Sciences Department. https://training.coleacp.org/course/view.php?id=328
- 10th June, 2020 (on zoom). Training on On-line module writing Zoom meeting by Dr. Rhoda Gitonga, Digital School-Kenyatyta University. Video slides attached
- 27th Febuary 2020: Launch of the indigenous vegetables (Multi-stakeholders partnership) at Agriculture Traning Centre, Soilo- Nakuru.
- 29th October 2019: Programme for Internationalization of Research and Resource Mobilization for Impact. Kenyatta University- BSSC, Room 14
- 30th to 31st October 2019: Annual Carnivore Conference. Kenya Wildlife Services Headquarters, Nairobi-Kenya
- November 26, 2019: A workshop on SWITCH Africa Green’s Green to Grow project: an overview of a revenue generation approach for sustainable consumption and production dissemination in Kenya. Main Conference Hall ICRAF Headquarters, Nairobi, Kenya.
- 17th to 19th April 2018: 2nd National Conservation Agriculture Conference, Kenya. FAO Conference at Safari Park Hotel, Nairobi, KENYA.
- 17TH to 19TH March 2017: Conference on Tourism and Hospitality in Mwingi organized by Kitui County Government. Mwingi-Kitui County.
- 10th- 11th May, 2016: 1st National Conservation Agriculture Conference, Kenya. FAO Conference at Safari Park Hotel, Nairobi
- 31 – 1st April 2015: workshop on the Adoption of Agroforestry and Contribution to the Sustainable Development Outcomes in Kenya. ICRAF- Headquarters, Nairobi-Kenya.
- 21 – 22 Feb 2013: IFAD fruit project inception workshop. JKUIAT-Thika.
- 10 – 13 April 2012: BEATING FAMINE-sustainable food security through land regeneration in a changing climate. ICRAF- Headquarters, Nairobi-Kenya
- 13th - 15th May 2013: International Conference on Forests for Food Security and Nutrition-Enhancing the benefits for rural people. (FAO-ROME, ITALY)
- 27th-28th June 2013: East Africa Agriculture for Nutrition and Health (A4NH). Workshop Report. Strategy development for trees for nutrition and health: priority areas, opportunities, challenges and entry points for research, Lord Eroll, Runda, Nairobi-Kenya.
- 11th - 17th October 2012: Tree Diversity Day – 11th Conference of the Parties to the Convention on Biological Diversity, Hyderabad, India.
- 25th to 29th June 2012: Forests and Trees: “SERVING THE PEOPLE OF AFRICA AND THE WORLD”. IUFRO-FORNESSA REGIONAL CONGRESS & ITTO/AFF FOREST POLICY DAY
- 03-07 Sep 2011: Science Forum 2011. ICRAF- Headquarters, Nairobi-Kenya.
- 8 – 11 August 2011: 14th NAPRECA symposium and AAMPS Ethnoveterinary Medicine Symposium. ICIPE – Nairobi, Kenya
- 27th – 29th April 2011: Regional Workshop To Support The Preparation of The State of The World’s Forest Genetic Resources in Africa. FAO, ICRAF and Biodiversity International. ICRAF- Headquarters, Nairobi-Kenya.
- 15th March 2010: Charcoal Seminar. ICRAF- Headquarters, Nairobi-Kenya.
- 17th-18th March 2011: Inception Workshop. Towards an Evergreen Agriculture in Africa: Scaling-up Conservation Agriculture with Trees for improved Livelihoods and Environmental resilience in Eastern and Southern Africa. ICRAF- Headquarters, Nairobi-Kenya.
- 15 – 17 September 2010: International conference on Biodiversity, Land Use and Climate Change towards a National Conservation framework. ICRAF- Headquarters, Nairobi-Kenya.