Department of Chemistry
- Food interventions for management of various health conditions including vitamin A deficiency, HIV and cancer.
- Environmental management including soil, water, air analysis
- Analysis of foods and other consumer products, for heavy metals and essential elements
- Development of analytical methods for determination of trace elements
- Investigation of substances including plants for organic farming
List of Book Chapters
- Nawiri, M.P., Aywa, K., and Nyambaka, H.N. (2013). The micronutrient content in coloured varieties of sweet potatoes (Ipomea batatas) grown in Vihiga County, Kenya. In Trends and opportunities in the production, processing and consumption of staple food crops in Kenya. Edited by Onyango, C., Unbehend, G ., and Lindhauer M. Deutsche nationalbibliothek Publisher, Germany. 95-105.
- Nyambaka, H.N and Nawiri, M.P (2013). Indegenous vgetables: An excellent source of vitamin A. In Vitamin A and Vitamin E; daily resuirements, daily, dietary sources and symptoms of deficiency. Edited by Leon De Smet and Mathis Claes. Nova Science Publishers, Newyork. Pg 105-122.
- Mobegi, E.K, Nyambaka, H.N and Nawiri, M.P (2016). Physico -Chemical Characteristics and levels 0f Polycyclic Aromatic Hydrocarbons in untreated water from Ngong River, Kenya. Journal of Pollution Effects & Control (accepted on 6th May 2016).
- Hena, J.Y. Jr., Andala, D.M., Nyambaka, H.N. and Nawiri, M.P. (2016). Carotenoid Levels, Total Phenolic Content and Antioxidant Activity Variations in Varieties of Citrullus lanatus under Storage at Room Temperature. International Journal of Biochemistry Research & Review 9(3): 1-9.
- Kamau, T., Nyambaka, H.N and Nawiri, M.P (2015). Understanding Geophagic Practice as a Source of Mineral Nutrients and Toxicants. International Journal of Modern Chemistry and Applied Science 2(4), 208-210
- Odhiambo, V.O., Wanjau, R., Odundo, J.O and Nawiri, M.P. (2015). Toxic trace elements in different brands of milk infant formulae in Nairobi market, Kenya. African Journal of Food Sciwence Vol. 9(8), pp. 437-440
- Njiru, M.K., Odundo, J.O., Wanjau, R.N and Nawiri, M.P (2014). Exploring the nutraceutical values of residues of MangiferaIndica L. grown in Embu County, Kenya. Journal of Kenya Chemical Society Vol 8: (1)83-88.
- Onyambu, Z.M., Nawiri, M.P., Kareru, P and Wanjau, R. (2014). Levels of selected heavy metals in Aloe Vera branded herbal soaps sold in the Kenya market. Journal of Kenya Chemical Society Vol 8: (1) 98-102.
- The artemisin potential of leaves from cultivars and wildlings of Artemisia annua L. grown in Western Kenya M. P (2013). International Journal of Education and Research Vol. 1 No. 7 1-10.
- Odundo, J. O., Oyoo, D. and Nawiri, M. P. (2013). The artemisin potential of flowers from Artemisia annua L. grown in Western Kenya. Industrial Crops and Products 49 233– 236.
- Nawiri, M.P., Nyambaka, H.N. and Murungi, J.I. (2013). Sundried cowpeas and amaranthus leaves recipe improves beta-carotene and retinol in serum and hemoglobin concentration among preschool children. European Journal of Nutrition 52 (2) 583-589 doi 10.1007/s00394-012-036-2.
- Aywa, K., Nawiri, M.P. and Nyambaka, H.N. (2013). Nutrient variation in coloured varieties of Ipomea batatas grown in vihiga county, western Kenya. International Food Research Journal. 20(2): 819-825.
- Muiruri, J.M., Nyambaka, H. N. and Nawiri, M. P. Heavy metals in water and tilapia fish from Athi-Galana-Sabaki tributaries, Kenya. International Food Research Journal. Ref No. IFRJ-2012-317 (Accepted on 10th Nov. 2012).
- Nawiri, M.P., Muturi, I.K., Bichanga, R. and Murungi, J.I. Essential antioxidant elements in oils of the cake and shell of calodendrum capense nuts. Analytical Chemistry Letters. (Accepted in December 2012).
- Nyambaka, H.N., Nderitu J., Nawiri, M.P and Murungi J.I. (2012). Use of kitchen steel wool as oxygen absorber improves storage retention of beta-carotene in solar-dried vegetables. Mediterranean Journal of Chemistry, 1 (6) 326-333.
- Nawiri, MP, Nyambaka HN and Murungi JI (2012). Sun dried cowpeas and amaranth leaves recipe improves beta-carotene, retinol and hemoglobin levels in serum among preschool children. European Journal of Nutrition (manuscript accepted for publication on 6th April, 2012).
- Mildred P. Nawiri (2008). Effect of dehydration of dark green leafy vegetables on Bioavailability and bioconversion of serum beta-carotene among preschool children (Ph D Thesis, Kenyatta University).
- Mildred Pauline Oyugi (2000). Heavy metal and Pesticides in Marine sediment, seawater and seaplants along the Kenya-Mombasa Coastline (MSc Thesis. Kenyatta University).
- S.K Bor, J.A. Simbauni, M.P Oyugi, W.M Njue and S.C Chhabra (2007). Organochlorine residues in tissues of marine fauna along the coast of Kenya-Mombasa Island. Bull. Chem. Soc. Ethiopia, 21(1), 145-149.
- Mildred Oyugi, Sumesh Chhabra, Wilson Njue and Anthony Kinyua (2003). Heavy metal and Pesticides in Marine sediment, seawater and seaplants along the Kenya-Mombasa Coastline. J. of Trace Microprobe Techniques, Vol 21 No. 1.pp.147-159.
- Symposium on Women in Chemistry, The Hague, The Netherlands, 17 May 2016.
- Humboldt “Kolleg” 2016 Held in Naivasha, Kenya April 6 – 8 , 2016. Paper presented: Nawiri, M.P, et al “Carotenoid levels, Total Phenolic Content and Antioxidant Activity Variations in Varieties of Citrullus lanatus under Storage at Room Temperature”. Theme: “Research and Networking: Laying the Foundation for the Sustainable Development Goals”
- The 4th Africa food & Nutrition Forum October 27th – 29th, 2015 Addis Ababa, Ethiopia:
- Certificate of participation: Chemical Inventory management Systems (CIMS) Workshop (24th – 28th August. 2015)
- STEP Train- the Trainer Workshop (September 7th to 9th September, 2015)
- UNESCO/UNITWIN Chairs Consultative and Sensitization forum, April 22nd 2015. University of Nairobi.
- AGGN workshop on Good Governance in post 2015. Held at Best Western Hotel, Nairobi on 16th January 2015.
- Ministerial Forum for Ministers of Social Development for Eastern African Region 24th – 26th February 2015, Nairobi Kenya.
- Nomination to attend a meeting on students attachment, Internship and Partnership with the private sector organized by Ministry of Education, Science .
- Framework for the internalization of Doctoral education (FRINDOC) Induction working Group at University of Bergen, Norway, 13th -14th February 2014
- International Science And Technology Conference (ISTEC) held at Dubai, United Arab Emirates (UAE) on 13th -15th December 2012. Paper presented:- Nawiri M.P., Oyoo, D and Odundo, J. O. “ The artemisinin potential of leaves from cultivars and wildlings of Artemisia annua L. grown in Western Kenya”
- Kenya DAAD Scholar’s Association Conference held at Egerton University on 15th-16th November 2012. Paper presented:- Nawiri M.P., Nyambaka, H. and Aywa, K. “Nutrient content in colored varieties of ipomea batatas”.
- Seeding Labs International/ Novartis Institute of Biomedical Research (NIBR) Fellowship Training 2012, Boston, MA, USA.
- DIES-Training: “Proposal Writing for International Research Projects” Second Part: April 9th-14th, 2012 in Naivasha, Sawela Lodge, Kenya. Proposal presented:-Phytochemical compounds and nutrients in varieties of fresh and dehydrated indigenous vegetables and fruits grown in Kenya.
- DIES-Training: “Proposal Writing for International Research Projects” First Part: November 20th -25th, 2011 in Nairobi, Kenya. DAAD Annual conference held on 16th November, 2011 at Silver Springs Hotel, Nairobi, Kenya. Theme:- Capacity Development for the County Governments in the New Constitutional Dispensation in Kenya.
- Kenyatta University Capacity building seminar for staff mentors at Business and students Services Center, 31st August 2010. (Participated).
- 4th Africa Nutritional Epidemiology Conference held at Safari park hotel, Nairobi, Kenya on 4th -8th October 2010.Theme “Nutrition and Food security: Success and emerging challenges. Paper presented:- Nyambaka, H, Nawiri M, et al. The nutritive value of indigenous vegetables in the lake Victoria basin in relation to HIV/AIDS management.
- African Women in Science and Engineering (AWSE) Conference held at Monetary Studies College, Kenya on 18th -20th August, 2010. Theme “A decade into the 20th Century: The contribution of African Women Scientists and Engineers. Paper presented:- Nawiri, M.P, Nyambaka H. and Murungi J.I. Effect of Dehydration of dark green leafy vegetables on bioavailability of serum beta-carotene among preschool children.
Last Updated on Tuesday, 05 July 2016 13:53