Prof. Richard O. Oduor
Department of Biochemistry, Microbiology and Biotechnology
Use of modern technologies including genetic engineering to improve crop yield and enhance biomass for biocommodities as well as improving local medicinal plants for increased production of therapeutic secondary metabolites.
Areas of Expertise
• Molecular Biology
• Drug discovery
• Forensic sciences
• Organizational Development
• Science Communication
- Oduor, R. O, Iyer, R, Mackuka, J. and Thomson, J. A. (2009). Plant promoters of the XVSAP1 gene. World Intellectual Property Organization Patent no. Patent No. WO/2009/060402.
RESEARCH AND PUBLICATIONS
Articles in Refereed Journals
Joel Masanga, Beatrice Njoki Mwangi, Willy Kibet, Philip Sagero, Mark Wamalwa, Richard Oduor, Mathew Ngugi, Amos Alakonya, Patroba Ojola, Emily S Bellis,
Steven Runo (2021), Physiological and ecological warnings that dodders pose an exigent threat to farmlands in Eastern Africa, Plant Physiology, kiab034,
Mukami A, Ng’etich A, Syombua E, Oduor R, Mbinda W (2020). Varietal differences in physiological and biochemical responses to salinity stress in six finger millet plants. Physiol Mol Biol Plants https://doi.org/10.1007/s12298-020-00853-8
- Asande LK, Ombori RO, Nyaboga EN, Oduor RO. (2020). Efficient Shoot Organogenesis Using Leaf Disc and Nodal Explants of Passion Fruit (Passiflora edulis
Sims) and Genetic Fidelity Assessment Using Sequence-Related Amplified Polymorphism (SRAP) Markers. International Journal of Agronomy.
- Mbinda W, Dixelius C and Oduor R (2019). Induced Expression of Xerophyta viscosa XvSap1 Gene Enhances Drought Tolerance in Transgenic Sweet Potato. Front. Plant Sci. 10:1119. doi: 10.3389/fpls.2019.01119
- Asunta Mukami, Alex Ngetich, Cecilia Mweu, Richard O. Oduor, Mutemi Muthangya, Wilton Mwema Mbinda (2019). Differential characterization of physiological and biochemical responses during drought stress in ﬁnger millet varieties. Physiol Mol Biol Plants. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12298-019-00679-z
- Asunta Mukami, Alex Ngetich, Cecilia Mweu, Mutemi Muthangya, Richard O. Oduor, Mathew Ngugi, and Wilton Mbinda (2019). Rapid and efficient plant regeneration from shoot apical meristems of finger millet [Eleusine coracana (L.) Gaertn.] via direct organogenesis. 17(29), pp. 898-905, : 10.5897/AJB2018.16562
- Easter D. SYOMBUA, Christine N. WANYONYI, Wilton M. Mbinda, Mathew P. NGUGI1, Amos E. ALAKONYA and Richard O. ODUOR (2019). Explant type and hormone regime influences somatic embryogenesis and regeneration of cassava. African Journal of Biotechnology 18(25), pp. 532-539. DOI: 10.5897/AJB2019.16853 Article
- D M Mukwabi, S O Otieno, P O Okemo, R O Odour and B Agwanda (2019). Parasites infesting Nile tilapia grown in aquaculture systems in Kenya Livestock Research for Rural Development 31 (2)
- DM Mukwabi, PO Okemo, SO Otieno, RO Oduor and CM Macharia (2019). Temperature and PH influence on bacterial pathogens infecting farmed Nile tilapia in aquaculture systems in Bungoma County, Kenya. International Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Studies 7(1): 190-197
- Richard O. Oduor (2019). Exposure to Background Ionizing radiation from quarries and premises in Kisumu County, Kenya. International Journal of Scientific Research.
- Richard O. Oduor (2018). Indoor background ionizing radiations in selected premises in Mombasa County, Kenya. International Advanced Research Journal in Science, Engineering and Technology. 5(11):36-38. DOI 10.17148/IARJSET.2018.5118
- Sylvia Nawiri, Richard Oduor and Wilton Mbinda (2018). Isopentenyletransferase Gene Enhances Drought Tolerance in Genetically Engineered Sweetpotato (Ipomoea batatas (L.) Lam). J Plant Biochem Physiol, 6:3 DOI: 10.4172/2329-9029.1000221
- Wilton Mbinda, Omwoyo Ombori, and Christina Dixelius, Richard Oduor (2018). Xerophyta viscosa Aldose Reductase, XvAld1, Enhances Drought Tolerance in Transgenic Sweetpotato. Molecular Biotechnology https://doi.org/10.1007/s12033-018-0063-x
- Nzaro G Makenzi1, Wilton M Mbinda, Richard Oduor Okoth and Mathews Piero Ngugi (2017). Plant Regeneration of Sweetpotato Through Direct Shoot Organogenesis J Plant Biochem Physiol. DOI: 10.4172/2329-9029.1000207
- Ouko R.O, Koech S.C, Arika W.M, Oduor R.O, Ngugi M.T. (2017) Bioefficacy of organic extracts of Ocimum basilicum against Sitophilus zeamais. Entomology, Ornithology & Herpetology Vol. 6:190 doi 10.4172/2162-0983.1000190
- EN Marigi, JO Masanga, TL Munga, LS Karanja, MP Ngugi, WM Thagana, D Kirubi, M Mwangi, CM Githunguri, WM Muiru, DW Miano, AE Alakonya and RO Oduor (2016). Optimisation of a Somatic Embryogenesis and Transformation Protocol for Farmer-Preferred Cassava Cultivars in Kenya. African CropScience Journal, 24 (s1): 35–44. ISSN 1021-9730/2016. doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.4314/acsj.v24i1.4S
- Stephen O. Onyango, Hugh Roderick, Jaindra N. Tripathi, Richard Collins, Howard J. Atkinson, Richard O. Oduor, LeenaTripathi (2016). The ZmRCP-1 promoter of maize provides root tip specificexpression of transgenes in plantain. Journal of Biological Research.23:4 1-9. DOI 10.1186/s40709-016-0041-z
- Miccah Songelael Seth, Leta Tulu Bedada, Mathew Piero Ngugi, Steven Maina Runo, Revel Iyer, Jennifer Ann Thomson, Emmarold E. Mneney, Dan Makumbi, Richard Okoth Oduor (2016). Drought tolerance in transgenic tropical maize (Zea mays L) by heterologous expression of peroxiredoxin2 gene-XvPrx2. African Journal of Biotechnology. 15(25). 1350-1362.
- Ogola PE, Arika WM, Nyamai DW, Osano KO, achuonyo HO, Wambani JR, Lagat RC, Njagi SM, Mumenya SW, Koteng A, Ngugi MP, Oduor RO (2016). Determination of background ionizing radiations in selected buildings in Nairobi County, Kenya. Journal of Nuclear Medicine and Radiation Therapy 7:29.doi:10.4172/2155-9619.1000289
- Leta Tulu Bedada, Miccah Songelael Seth, Steven Maina Runo, Wondyifraw Teffera, Charless Mugoya, Clet Wandui Masiga, Richard Okoth Oduor, Eduardo Blumewald and Francis Wachira (2016). Drought tolerant tropical maize (Zea mays L.) developed through genetic t/ransformation with isopentenyltransferase gene. African Journalof Biotechnology. 15(43), pp. 2447-2464, 26. DOI: 10.5897/AJB2016.15228
- Mbinda W, Anami S, Ombori O, Dixelius C, Oduor R (2016). Efficient Plant Regeneration of Selected Kenyan Sweetpotato (Ipomoea batatas (L.) Lam.) Cultivars through Somatic Embryogenesis. J Tissue Sci Eng 7: 176. doi:10.4172/2157-7552.1000176
- Tripathi JN, Oduor RO and Tripathi L (2015) A High-Throughput Regeneration and Transformation Platform for Production of Genetically Modified Banana. Front. Plant Sci. 6:1025. doi: 10.3389/fpls.2015.01025
- Piero NM, Murugi NJ, Okoth OR, Ombori OR, Jalemba MA, Chelule CR (2015) RNAi-Mediated Downregulation of Cyano-Glycoside Biosynthesis in Kenyan Cassava (Manihot esculenta Crantz) Genotypes. J Plant Biochem Physiol 3: 148. doi:10.4172/2329-9029.1000148
- Piero NM, Joan MN, Richard OO, Jalemba MA, Omwoyo OR, and Cheruiyot R Chelule. (2015) Determination of Cyanogenic Compounds Content in Transgenic Acyanogenic Kenyan Cassava (Manihot esculenta Crantz) Genotypes: Linking Molecular Analysis to Biochemical Analysis. J Anal Bioanal Tech 6: 264 doi:10.4172/2155-9872.1000264
- Ngugi MP, Oduor RO, Omwoyo RO, Njagi JM, Mgutu AJ, Cheruiyot (2015) Regeneration of Kenyan Cassava (Manihot Esculenta Crantz) Genotypes. J Plant Biochem Physiol 3: 147. doi:10.4172/2329-9029.1000147
- K. Mburua, R. Oduor, A. Mgutu and L. Tripathi (2015). Silicon application enhances resistance to xanthomonas wilt disease in banana. Plant Pathology.Doi:10.1111/ppa.12468
- Wilton Mbinda, Sylvia Nawiri, Makenzi Nzaro, Benson Kinyagia, Allan Mgutu, and Richard Oduor (2015). Evaluation of the Phosphomannose Isomerase-Based Selection System for Genetic Transformation of Sweetpotato. International Journal of LifeScience 9(3): 46-53
- Marigi E , Ngugi MP, Thagana W, Muiru W, Munga TL, Alakonya A and Oduor RO (2014). Establishing a platform for routine genetic transformation of cassava for enhanced tolerance to cassava mosaic disease and cassava brown streak diseases. CRCoE Review (3) 23-26
- Ngugi M Piero, Njagi J Murugi, Oduor R Okoth, Mgutu A Jalemba, Ngeranwa NJ Joseph and Njagi EN Mwaniki, (2012). Prevention of Type I Diabetes Mellitus: The Role of Immune Interventions. Clinical and Cellular Immunology. doi:10.4172/2155-9899.S2-005
- Seth M S, Bedada, L T, Mneney, E. E, Oduor R O and Machuka J S (2012).In vitro regeneration of selected commercial Tanzanian open pollinated maize genotypes. African Journal of Biotechnology 11(22): 6043-6049
- Seth M S, Bedada, L T, Mneney, E. E, Oduor R O and Machuka J S (2012). In vitro regeneration of selected commercial Tanzanian open pollinated maize genotypes. African Journal of Biotechnology 11(22): 6043-6049
- Oduor, R. O.; K. Ojo, K. K.; Williams G. P.; Bertelli, F.; Mills, J.; Maes , L.; Pryde, D. C.; Parkinson , T.; Van Voorhis, W. C. and Holler, T. P. (2011). Trypanosoma brucei Glycogen Synthase Kinase-3 Target for Anti-trypanosomal Drug Development: A Public-Private Partnership to Identify Novel Leads. PLoS Negl Trop Dis 5(4): e1017. doi:10.1371/journal.pntd.0001017
- Oduor, R. O, Njagi, E. N. M, Ndung’u, S and Machuka, J. S. (2006). In vitro Regeneration of Dryland Kenyan Maize Genotypes Through Somatic Embryogenesis International Journal of Botany 2 (2): pp 46-151.
- Ngugi M Piero, Njagi J Murugi, Oduor R Okoth, Musembi Susan, Njagi EN Mwaniki, (2019). Towards biochemical and molecular understanding of obesity. Journal of Obesity and Lifestyle Management. In press
- Emma N. Marigi, Joel O. Masanga, Theresia L. Munga,Laura S. Karanja, Mathew P. Ngugi, Wilson M. Thagana Duncan Kirubi , Maina Mwangi, Cyrus M. Githunguri William M. Muiru, Douglas W. Miano, Amos E. Alakonya and Richard O. Oduor (2019). Effect of explant type, plant growth regulators and photoperiod regimes on regeneration of selected Kenyan cassava (Manihot esculenta Crantz) cultivars.In Press
- Ogola PE, Mumenya SW, Koteng’ A, Ngugi MP, Oduor RO (2019). Determination of ionizing radiations in selected quarries in Nairobi County, Kenya. OMICs. In press
Articles in Conference Proceedings
- Oduor RO, Mbinda W, Runo SM, Murilla G, Mugendi J, Muriira G4, Ogoyi D, Ochieng J and, Mathabe PMK, Ngugi MP (2018). ‘Genetically Modified Organisms: the Kenya’s Story’ Presented at Africa Animal Welfare Conference between September 3-5 2018, United Nations Complex, Kenya
- Ogola PE, Njagi JM, Ngugi MP, Mumenya SW, Koteng’A, Wala E, Geoffrey Muriira, Mugendi J, Bosire, SW and Oduor RO (2018). ‘Determination of exposure to indoor ionizing radiation in human habitat: a preventive approach to cancer management’ presented at the 50th KMA ANNUAL SCIENTIFIC CONFERENCE, between 17th -21st April 2018 at Nyali Sun Africa Beach Hotel & Spa, Mombasa Kenya
- Joel W Ochieng, Jane J. Binott, Richard S. Mulwa, Mathews M. Dida, Pixley K. Kipsumbai, Trizah K. Milugo and Richard O. Oduor (2017) “Can Genetic Engineering promote food security and reduce the health burden? Focus on food safety and nutrition” presented at 45th KMA Annual Scientific Conference, held between 19th to 23rd April 2017
- Oduor RO, Ngugi MP, Alakonya AE and Maina SR (2016). ‘Politics of GM crops: The Kenyan Story and its Role in Sustainable Agriculture’, a paper presented at the 2nd SAED Biennial International Conference held on November 29th to December 2nd 2016 pg37
- Oduor RO, Ngugi MP, Tuei VC, Milugo TK, and Ochieng JW (2016) “How prepared is Sub Saharan Africa to adopt Biotech crops? Lessons from Kenya”presented at the Bridging the Gap between Agriculture and Human Health workshop, held between19th to 22nd September 2016
- Easter D. SYOMBUA, Mathew P. NGUGI, Theresia L. MUNGA,Laura S. KARANJA, Wilson M. THAGANA Duncan KIRUBI , Maina MWANGI, Cyrus M. GITHUNGURI William M. MUIRU, Douglas W. MIANO, Amos E. ALAKONYA and Richard O. ODUOR (2016) ‘Somatic embroyogenesis and transformation of selected Kenyan cassava cultivators’ presented at the 20th International Consortium on Applied Bioeconomy Research (ICABR) on 26th to 29th June 2016.
- Oduor RO, Mgutu AJ, Ngugi MP, Alakonya AE and Maina SR (2015) ‘Africa is ready for genetically modified crops: Lessons from Kenya’ presented at the 2nd Africa International Biotechnology and Biomedical Conference held on 17th to 18thSeptember 2015.
- Emma N. MArigi, Mathew P. NGUGI, Theresia L. MUNGA,Laura S. KARANJA, Wilson M. THAGANA Duncan KIRUBI , Maina MWANGI, Cyrus M. GITHUNGURI William M. MUIRU, Douglas W. MIANO, Amos E. ALAKONYA and Richard O. ODUOR (2015) ‘Evaluating regenerability and transformability of a farmer-preferred Kenyan Cassava Cultivars’ presented at the 4th Annual Biosafety Conference held on 11th to 14th August 2015.
- Marigi E , Ngugi MP, Thagana W, Muiru W, Munga TL, Alakonya A and Oduor RO (2014) ‘Establishing a platform for routine genetic transformation of cassava for enhanced tolerance to cassava mosaic disease and cassava brown streak disease’ presented at the 3rd CRCoE Review and Cassava Scientific Conference held on 28th to 30th July 2014 pg 23-26
- Oduor RO, Ochieng’ JW, Ngugi MP and Miano DW (2014). ‘’Kenya is Ready for the Adoption of Genetically Modified Foods Despite the Existing Ban on their Importation’’ presented at the UCT –USHEPiA Alumni seminar, held on18th to 19th September 2014.
- Wilson M. Thagana, Richard O. Oduor, and Willium M Muiru (2012)‘Enhancing cassava productivity through host plant resistance breeding against cassava mosaic disease and cassava brown streak disease using genetic engineering and marker assisted selection – A Kenyan project’ presented at the 12th International Symposium on Plant Virus Epidemiology held on 28th January to 1st February 2012. Pg 157.
- Oduor, R. O., K. Ojo, K. K., Williams G. P., Bertelli, F., Mills, J., Maes, L., Pryde, D. C., Parkinson , T., Van Voorhis, W. C. and Holler, T. P. (2011). ‘High-throughput screening to identify novel anti-trypanosomal leads targeting glycogen synthase kinase 3 of Trypanosoma brucei’ presented at the 4th ANDI Stakeholders meeting and Donors Conference on 24th to 27th October 2011 pg 109.
Chapters in Book (s)
- Richard Oduor, Mathew Ngugi, Vivian Tuei, Trizah Milugo and Joel Ochieng (2015). Chapter Title How Ready is Sub-Saharan Africa to Adopt Biotech Crops? Lessons from Kenya (Chapter Six). In: Emma Arogundade (2015): USHEPiA Crossing Boundaries: Knowledges from the Continent. Siber Ink, South Africa, ISBN: 9781928309079.
- Clet Wandui Masiga, Charles Mugoya, Rasha Ali, Abdalla Mohamed, Sarah Osama, Abigail Ngugi, DanKiambi, Santie de Villiers, Kahiu Ngugi, Theogene Niyibigira, Abraha Tesfamichel, Jesse Machuka, Richard Oduor, Steven Runo, Rasha Adam, et al (2014). Enhanced Utilization of Biotechnology Researchand Development Innovations in Eastern and Central Africa for Agro-ecological Intensification. Editors: Bernard Vanlauwe, Piet van Asten, Guy Blomme. In Challenges and Opportunities for Agricultural Intensification of the Humid Highland Systems of Sub-Saharan Africa. Springer International PublishingSwitzerland .SBN 978-3-319-07661-4 ISBN 978-3-319-07662-1 (eBook) DOI 10.1007/978-3-319-07662-1.pp 97-104 http://link.springer.com/chapter/10.1007/978-3-319-07662-1_8#page-1